Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Life Blood


I gave blood for the first time today. I had tried before, last week, but got a bit light headed just from the pin-prick when they checked my hemoglobin levels, so that didn't work. However, it was important for me to do it, so back I went today to try again. I knew exactly what they were going to do, and how it was going to work, so I thought as long as I didn't look at it all would be well. And for the most part it was. They take a pint of blood each time you donate, and I didn't quite get that far because although I wasn't squeamish about it, the blood loss made me dizzy anyway and they had to stop. That being said, they got enough out that it counts as my very first donation. Even if they didn't quite get enough to give to someone, they can still use it in research, or for medicine or treatment products. I have a donor card on the way, and in 56 days I will be able to try again.

This week is national blood donation week. The need is great, and the results save lives.  I have very good, healthy blood and now someone somewhere will benefit from it. For me personally, because my grandmother died from kidney failure, and my aunt was killed in a car crash, both well before their times, so it was important for me to do this.

If you have ever considered donating, I recommend looking into whether or not you can. It is uncomfortable, but it is also extremely rewarding.  

As their slogan says: it's in you to give.

No comments:

Post a Comment